Thursday, September 19, 2013

Our new normal



Fall is in the air. My favorite time of year is approaching and life is finally slowing down for us.
Thank. Goodness. The move was tough. Chaotic and at times, dramatic. We've been living among boxes and the most routine thing said in our house is 'I have no idea where that is'. However, we're getting there. We're trying to achieve normal. The problem was trying to determine what 'normal' is actually supposed to be..

As you probably know, one decision has completely changed our lives in every aspect. Less than a month ago, we lived a medium-city life, taking for granted all of the conveniences of the modern world. Within two or miles of my house were two grocery stores, numerous restaurants, gas stations, banks, nail salons, hair salons, dental offices, etc etc etc. Our move to the country was not without a culture-shock. This week, we were beyond excited to learn the gas station ten minutes away actually bakes & sells pizza. Apparently, it's a big hit 'round these here parts.

It feels as though we've stepped back in time. Elderly folks sit on their porches and wave as you drive by. The owner of the local general store knows us by name, car, and where we work. The sheriff & his deputy close up early on Wednesdays to go fishing. My kids go to one school that holds grades Pre K-12. Everyone in town knows which house is ours.. People we've never laid eyes on know who my family is, where we work, & where we're from. Our arrival brought the number of residents in town to an astonishing 215.

I thought Mayberry died out a long time ago.. My ignorance had me convinced that places such as this no longer exist. Somewhere between a girl growing up and the woman I am today; I lost sight of what life can truly be. I feel as though my back as turned to genuine... Life. For our family, we've found home. I live in a place where I don't worry my girls will be hit by a car if they simply step off the front porch. The faces of the waving elderly are becoming familiar as I wave back. I don't regret choices we've made in the past-they've brought us to where we are today. Maybe my ignorance was best..for I can now actually appreciate the joy of country life.

Last Saturday, I woke up very early and decided to wake Samantha (my 11 year-old) as well. We took blankets into the back yard, laid on our backs and gazed at the millions of twinkling stars above us. We snuggled under the chilly morning sky and talked about the constellations, the galaxy, and just enjoyed the view. It was one of the best moments in my life. Tonight we lit a fire in our smoker as the girls ran around the yard with Buckeye & Lexie.. Another awesome moment.

I know this life isn't ideal for everyone. I realize the move we made was a complete risk for our family. I know people call us 'crazy' for the moves we've made. After all of the messages, texts, emails, and phone calls we've received over the past few weeks, I just felt compelled to tell everyone this: we're ok. We're great, actually. If you want to come out & feed a horse, climb the loft in the barn, pick figs off of the tree, stop Buckeye from barking at the neighbors cows, or lay with us to see the stars at night... We'd love to have you. Just make sure, on your way down... You stop for pizza.











No comments:

Post a Comment