Sunday, December 25, 2011

DIY Ribbon Covered Lamp Shades. Perfect idea for all ages!

A few years ago, I purchased a few drum lamps from Pier One Kids for a FRACTION of the price. They were cute..nothing special. At the time, I only had my first two daughters but bought three..for some crazy reason. When I found out I was pregnant with our third princess, I decided to try to get creative with the lamps--they needed some flair! Light this baby up in style! I bought a gorgeous nursery set online that neglected to come with a lamp, so the following is my solution!!

Supplies Needed:
1-Ugly Lamp 
2-Lots and lots of cute & coordinating ribbon (varying sizes and textures looks great)
3-Glue Gun/Mod Podge may work BUT I've never tried it..just a thought
4-Lots of patience (and a steady hand. Burning your fingers with a glue gun will make you cuss like a sailor)

Steps:
1-Remove shade from base of lamp (seems obvious)
2-Begin to horizontally wrap the shade with your ribbon, gluing all the way along while wrapping. Try to keep the ends matching up at the same spot as the ribbon above it.
3-Wrap/Glue/Wrap/Glue (seriously..this can take some time)
4-You're getting there, I promise. It's almost done!
5- Once your entire base is covered, you'll want to take one longer piece of ribbon and glue it vertically along the shade, covering where the ribbon ends meet  *this is why matching the ends is so important*
6-Tuck the ends of the ribbon underneath the inside of the shade (I'd recommend gluing about 1/2 in. on both ends, ensuring it will stay for long periods of time)
7-Attach your shade to the base of lamp (again..obvious)
8-Admire!! You did it!

I'd love to see pics of your variations of these shades. The one pictured has beads hanging from fishing wire..I glued them to the bottom of the shade and secured it with ribbon on the inside and outside of the shade..I love the dangling effect it gave!

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment